birding-aus

Re: Bee-eaters and migration

To: <>
Subject: Re: Bee-eaters and migration
From: "Vicki Parslow-Stafford" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:44:43 +1000
I don't know whether this signals the commencement of migration, or
post-breeding dispersal, but this week I had a juvenile black-faced monarch
in the tree next to my dining-room window.  This is the first time I've
seen the species in this immediate vicinity.  I live on a small inner
suburban block less than 1km from the CBD in Ipswich, Qld, opposite a
rather degraded environmental park and recreation reserve.  Directly
opposite my house is a narrow gully (part of the park) which is heavily
wooded with both native and introduced flora.

I have listed 82 species for this immediate area so far, including a
(presumably migrating) satin flycatcher in November 91, and a small flock
of plum-headed finches during a drought period in July 92.

I was also quite chuffed to see and hear a pair of Eastern Whipbirds in my
backyard the same day as the monarch.

Vicki PS
Vicki Parslow Stafford  | "Oh, many a Cup of this
Ipswich, Qld, Australia | forbidden Wine must drown
Email    | the memory of that
Ph/fax +61 7 3281 5010  | insolence!"