birding-aus

Asthma and sheoaks (allocasuarinas)

Subject: Asthma and sheoaks (allocasuarinas)
From: michael norris <>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 15:24:42 +1100
A local pressure group is claiming there is research which shows that
sheoaks ((Allocasuarinas) are particularly likely to cause asthma
attacks.

I know some asthma is associated with fine pollens, rye-grass being a
particular species that is referred to by the Victoria health
department. But is there any evidence that sheoaks are particularly
troublesome ? Any references to publications ?

Why is this relevant to birds? As well as historically being part of the
local ecology, sheoaks in autumn attract honeyeaters (because of insects
on the plants?). Species recorded on sheoaks here is S-E Melbourne
include New Holland, Fuscous and Singing HEs.

I think we should restore more sheoaks to the foreshore - most were cut
down in the past for use as fuel.

Thanks

Michael Norris