birding-aus

BIRDS & CRICKET

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: BIRDS & CRICKET
From: "Tony Archer" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 20:33:36 +0200
Hi all

While watching our team brave umpires, broken wickets and the most
diabolical catching in an attempt to beat the Aussies at cricket, I felt I
must make mention of all the gulls on the cricket grounds.

I do not know if the players are at all affected by the gulls but I find
that I loose sight of the ball at day/night games between the white gulls.
An article in our latest club magazine perhaps has a good way of removing
the gulls.

At Kennedy international airport they have a  problem with Laughing Gulls
who have a huge breeding colony at the nearby Jamaica Bay National Wildlife
Sanctuary.  They have largely solved the problem by getting falconers to
help. They patrol the runways and the moment a 747 arrives they throw a
pigeon carcass into the air...and release a Peregrine Falcon to pounce on
the carcass.

The gulls are so terrified by the site of a hunting falcon's outline that
they immediately take off.  The number of 'strikes' between birds and
planes decreased by 65% in a year.

If the gulls are chased away our guys will then maybe be able to catch the
balls!!!

Regards

Tony Archer
P O Box 6022, Flamwood
KLERKSDORP. SOUTH AFRICA

http://www.lantic.co.za?~archer
TEL & FAX: 27 18 4686403
CELL: 0824459192

'I don't know jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts' -
Will Rogers