birding-aus

Re: Unusual magpie behaviour

Subject: Re: Unusual magpie behaviour
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:08:08 +1000 (EST)
Steve:
  Thanks for sharing your observations.  Unless there was food
attached to the vine I would interpretive your magpie's activity as
playful behaviour.  I have several questions:  1) What was the sex and age
of the bird (in your message you refer to it as a male and female);
2) Can you be more precise about how long the bird continued this
interesting activity?  Any other details?  BTW, magpies, especially
juveniles, are known to "play".

I plan to write an article on play behaviour in an upcoming
issue of the Interpretive Birding Bulletin, do you mind if I cite your
observation in the article?

Cheers, Jim

e-mail