birding-aus

RE: Paradise Parrots

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: RE: Paradise Parrots
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:53:03 +1000
> recently been recognised as a relic of captive PPs having interbred
> with GSs
> and Hoodeds earlier this century.
>
> It is just conceiveable that if a breeder gathered a number of these
> bird
> together and bred them, selecting for the PP plumage traits, that a
> population of 'reassembled' PPs might be bred, and then might
> conceivably be
> reintroduced into the wild.

All this talk of resurrecting PPs reminds me of the execrable
ABC/CBC/BBC radio drama that ABC Radio National ran last year (??),
wherein an international conspiracy (!!!!) was launched to exterminate
all captive PPs so that those holding the remaining genetic stock would
be in a position to make big bucks.  Maybe there's scope for such a
grand conspiracy yet ;-)

Lawrie Conole
Fitzroy North, Victoria, Australia
<>