birding-aus

RCD and Tas Native-hen

Subject: RCD and Tas Native-hen
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:24:04 +1100 (EST)
For the interest of Birding-Aussers, a query forwarded from Barry Taylor.
Does anybody have any comments?

>Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 00:56:45 +0200
>From: Barry Taylor <>
>Subject: Rails etc
>

>Attention: Hugo Phillipps
>

>Dear Dr Phillipps
>
>I am writing a book on the rails of the world for the UK publisher
>Christopher Helm and I am in contact with Roger Jaensch who has given
>me much useful information on Australian rails. Roger suggested that
>you might be able to help with a query which I have, as follows.
>
>Last year I read several articles about the spread of the rabbit
>calcivirus through Australia but I have seen nothing about it
>recently. Do you know if it is still spreading? It occurs to me
>that if it spreads to Tasmania it could adversely affect Tasmanian
>Native-hen (Gallinula mortierii), as did the spread of myxomatosis
>and the subsequent decrease in the rabbit population which apparently
>maintains grazing habitat for these birds. Does anyone have any
>information on this?
>
>Any information will be fully acknowledged in the book, of course. I
>hope that you can help and I look forward to hearing from you.
>
>Yours sincerely
>

>Barry Taylor
>

>Dr B Taylor
>Zoology & Entomology
>University of Natal
>Private Bag X01
>Scottsville
>Pietermaritzburg 3209
>South Africa
>
>email:

Hugo Phillipps,
Birds Australia Conservation & Liaison,
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East, VIC 3123, Australia.
Tel: (03) 9882 2622. Fax: (03) 9882 2677.
O/s: +61 3 9882 2622. Fax: +61 3 9882 2677.
Email: <>
Web Homepage: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus