birding-aus

Re: you can't send a birdwatcher to do a twitcher's job

To: <>
Subject: Re: you can't send a birdwatcher to do a twitcher's job
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:50:40 +1030
David, having just returned from the Xmas break I caught your note re twitchers.

AH, what a dear you are to once again point out the snobbishness which
sometimes plagues our loved birdwatching/twitching activities. I count
myself as a devoted birdwatcher who occasionally has to go twitching to pick
up the unusual species.
I suspect this applies to most birdo's, but we can't seem to quell the upper
classes. Tony Russell.

At 12:22 PM 9/01/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks for the intro Lawrie.
>
>While we're on the subject I took particular offence at a recent
>posting about a Regent Honeyeater in suburban Melbourne, although
>I can't remember who sent it.
>
>A Regent Honeyeater is uncommon enough to be interesting wherever
>one appears. In suburban Melbourne it's a welcome diversion, though not,
>I expect, for those 'twitchers' who are popularly supposed to descend
>in 'hoards' whenever something interesting is reported.
>
>In fact - and here's the point of this tirade - I doubt twitchers do
anything in
>'hoards', unless some giant marsupial previously thought to be
>extinct  has suddenly reappeared and has started to stuff them into
>hollow trees like acorns.
>
>The next time a HORDE of birders descends like a plague of Biblical
>locusts on a rare bird (such as a Spotted Redshank, Stilt Sandpiper,
>Lesser Yellowlegs or any other Melbourne rarity), perhaps the
>birdwatchers could stand in one group and their social inferiors, the
>twitchers, could stand in another to enjoy (and correctly identify)
>the rarity in question.
>
>Aaah, that's better, now for some lunch.
>
>Good birding,
>David Andrew

Tony Russell
Ph: 08 82078470W