birding-aus

BIRDING AT NEWCASTLE AREA & CAPERTEE VALLEY JAN 1998

To: "" <>
Subject: BIRDING AT NEWCASTLE AREA & CAPERTEE VALLEY JAN 1998
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 98 12:19:00 PST

BIRDING AT NEWCASTLE AND CAPERTEE VALLEY JANUARY 1998

Last week I was on Annual Leave, and had some fantastic encounters with

my birding:

Shortland Wetland Centre and Sandgate (with Keith Brandwood and Lorne
Johnson)

At the wetland centre itself, I found atleast 4 Plumed and 10 Wandering

Whistling-ducks, one of each Baillons, Spotted (Australian) and Spotless

Crakes (excellent views of all 3), Buff-banded Rail, Red-kneed Dotterels,

Lathams Snipes, many Tawny and Little Grassbirds, Brown and White-cheeked

Honeyeaters, White-breasted Woodswallows and White-fronted Chats.

The biggest highlight for me however was at a small swamp near Sandgate

Cemetery. This highlight being,  my first Yellow Wagtail (a lifer for all

3 of us). The bird was is non-breeding plumage with smudges of yellow
below, olive mantle, white edges to long bouncy tail and black legs and

bill. This being possibly the second sighting for Newcastle area within

the last 10 years. I detected the bird by call (learnt from a British
bird tape) after being disturbed by a Grassbird(?). Although we had
excellent views for some minutes within less than 5 metres, the bird
later appeared shy and fleetly. This bird had been present at the Wetland

centre also in the previous week.

Kooragang Island and Stockton (Hunter estuary)

The usual good variety of waders were present, with good view of both a

Red and Great Knot, many Lesser Golden and few Mongolian Plovers aswell

as Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. An Osprey was sitting patiently beside the
Mangroves, and I managed to squeak in one of the Mangrove Gerygones
(Warblers) that were calling about to get good views of the bird.

Capertee Valley (14/1/98)

This is always a great spot which should be definitely visited by any
birdwatcher coming up to Sydney. This place is renowned as probably the

best place to find the endangered Regent Honeyeaters ( about 500 were
seen in the area last year), Turquoise Parrots and Plum -headed Finches

in Australia. This area is were coastal birds such as King Parrots and
Crimson Rosellas meet the Inland birds such as White-browed Babblers and

Little Friarbirds.

I really had an enjoyable day in this area (as usual!) and my highlight

birds included, 3 Peregrine Falcons,  20 plus Little Lorikeets, atleast

10 Turquoise Parrots, 1 Barking Owl (I found its whereabouts as it called

in mid afternoon), 5 White-backed Swallows, Rufous Songlark,  many
White-browed Babblers, Southern Whitefaces, 1-2 Little Friarbirds, 3
Black-chinned Honeyeaters, 20 plus Diamond Firetails and 10 Plum-headed

Finches. Neither Painted or Regent honeyeaters were seen on this day but

despite this, the weather and birding was great.

I easily saw or heard about 40 species at my first stop in the valley.

Birding is never dull in the Capertee Valley!

All for now and Happy birding to you all!

Edwin