birding-aus

Re: from your antipodes (Bullfinches)

To: "Wim Vader" <>, <>
Subject: Re: from your antipodes (Bullfinches)
From: "Ed Wilson" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:23:14 -0000
Hi

For about 6 years we have had Bullfinches coming into our Plymouth, Devon
garden irregularly. The garden is an outer suburb and we are about 100 yards
away from extensive woods

In the cold weather of Dec 1996 / Jan 1997 we had an unprecedented number in
the garden, and by late Feb we could sometimes see 5 males and 3 females at
one time, feeding with Greenfinches and Chaffinches on black sunflower seeds
on the ground under a half-standard Apple tree no more than 20 feet from the
house (the garden is only 40 feet long!)

To my surprise they stayed more or less all year, with at least 3 broods of
youngsters being introduced to the garden - the final brood in August

At the moment we have 2 males and 2 females. The juveniles are now well
moulted into adult plumage, so I cannot be sure whether these visitors are
last year's young habituated to the garden or not

They do tend to come early - certainly earlier than the Greenfiches, which
are later risers. They all stay later. But they are in and out of the garden
all day

If we have to fill the feeders during the day we can hear their quiet calls
from within the shrubs just a few feet away. We are used to it now - still
delighted: but 3 years ago we would have been ecstatic

They seem to have adapted to coming into our garden at least

Ed wilosn