birding-aus

Bird sighting near Byron Bay

Subject: Bird sighting near Byron Bay
From: (Ian Evans)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:05:23 +1000
Dear Birding Au/s,

I'm a casual and amateur birdwatcher, living in the country near Byron Bay,
NSW. For the past few days I've been watching a small bird which has
arrived in this area very recently. The closest identification I can find
for it is a Golden-Headed Cisticola. But it doesn't quite fit the picture
in my bird book as it has a very pale rusty colour on the breast. It also
looks a little smaller in the body. The wings and back appear to be about
the same colour as a common house sparrow.
The bird sits on high power wires about 80 metres from my house and spends
a lot of time calling. But it appears there isn't any other bird of this
species around as this bird is entirely alone. After calling for a while it
takes off, flying fairly high but comes back to call again in an hour or
so.
Can you suggest what it might be?
Hope you can help!

--