birding-aus

Re: Rain in Townsville!

Subject: Re: Rain in Townsville!
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:28:30 +1000 (EST)
Not much damage as i live in a high set house with a gently sloping
driveway to the street. There was 20 cm (8 inches)of rain under the house;
a little got in the car from the torrent.  It's a strange feeling watching
your street turn into a river and seeing wheelie bins floating by. I don't
store things under the house but many Townsvillians use them as rumpus
rooms.  Two birder friends have damaged carpets.

The main concerns are the newer housing developments which have low-set
houses designed for Sydney or Melbourne.  And of course some areas should
never have been built on in the first place, but this type of flooding was
unprecedented.  The water rearranged ornamental gardens, especially those
with pea gravel but well established gardens and the birds seem to be
okay.  The erosion would have been worse if we had not had good rains in
December and lawns were vigorous.

Today most of the arterial roads are open and people are cleaning up or
getting damage assessed.  However we are still cut off north south and
west of the city, though the airport has reopened. If the Bruce Highway to
the north is still closed by mid-week i will try to make alternative
travel arrangements,

Thanks for your concerns and see you next week.

Alex