birding-aus

White-capped albatross Thalassarche steadi

Subject: White-capped albatross Thalassarche steadi
From: "P.J. Milburn" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:24:06 +1100 (EST)
John Leonard wrote:

>I looked up the page that John Penhallurick recommended yesterday, and it
>seems straightforward, except there appears to a typo. Under the Shy
>Albatross complex, in the second column there's a bit of unformatted text
>reading "White-capped albatross Thalassarche steadi". What does this mean?
>Is this another species being made out of the Shy?

This is exactly the case.  The New Zealand population of White-capped
Albatross is distinct from the Australian populations, now known as Shy
Albatross, in a number of ways.  Unfortunately, plumage characteristics are
not one of these!!

Currently, specific identification of the cauta/steadi complex with a high
degree of confidence requires that the birds be captured.  It seems likely
that a reasonable percentage of the birds could be identified in the field
but more research is required in this area.

The Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association (SOSSA) has been studying the
occurence of various albatross off the coast of NSW for many years and it
is clear that in the late winter and early spring the majority of birds
which occur offshore from Wollongong are the White-capped Albatross (T.
steadi) from New Zealand.  Early indications are that the situation in
Tasmanian waters and the Great Australian Bight is quite different in that
the majority of birds are of Australian provenance.  Is anyone willing to
comment on this impression?  I would like to compare ideas with anyone who
has a detailed knowledge (particularly plumage progression with age) of
either Australian or New Zealand birds.

Slightly off the point it should be borne in mind that some newly fledged
White-capped Albatross (in August and September) may resemble Salvin's
Albatross in many features apart from the bill colouration.  Salvin's
Albatross occurs only rarely off the NSW coast, except perhaps in the
waters off Eden, but is a little more regular (from rather limited
experience) off Portland VIC and in Tasmanian waters.

regards
Milburn

Dr.Peter Milburn
Biomolecular Resource Facility
The Australian Nation University
GPO Box 334 Canberra ACT 0200  AUSTRALIA
Phone No.  <61> <6> 249 4326
Fax No.    <61> <6> 249 4326
E-mail Address