birding-aus

BIRDLINE NSW - update 7 January 1998

Subject: BIRDLINE NSW - update 7 January 1998
From: "Chris Gladwin" <>
Date: 07 Jan 1998 02:22:02 EST

     Highlights in New South Wales over the last week are as follows:

     AUSTRALIAN BITTERN 2 Rose's Lagoon, Near Goulburn 29/12 and 31/12
     WEDGE-TAILED EAGLE 1 Lapstone, Blue Mountains 31/12
     BLACK FALCON       1 Rose's Lagoon, Near Goulburn 29/12
     BAILLON'S CRAKE    several at each of Bushell's Lagoon, Pitt Town
                Lagoon, McGrath's Hill STW and Richmond Polo Club all week
     AUSTRALIAN CRAKE   several at each of Bushell's Lagoon, Pitt Town
                Lagoon, McGrath's Hill STW and Richmond Polo Club all week
     SPOTLESS CRAKE     1 Metromix Swamp, Cronulla 4/1
     SANDERLING         1 Long Reef, Sydney 4/1
     GREY-TAILED TATTLER        16 Long Reef, Sydney 4/1
     SUPERB PARROT      120 between Gundagai and Junee 20/11
     STRIATED PARDALOTE 1 Taronga Zoo grounds, Sydney 2/1 - first record
     WHITE-BREASTED WOODSWALLOW 5 Narabeen Lagoon, Sydney 4/1
     SPOTTED BOWERBIRD  1 Hawk's Nest, Central Coast 4/1 - recalls similar
                        records on coast in SE Queensland

     Seeing the note on Pale-headed Rosella in Sydney prompts me to mention
     that Sydney is crawling with feral and escaped parrots.  I receive
     more reports on odd parrot species than any other birds. In the last
     few weeks I have received reports, from Sydney, of Superb Parrot, Blue
     Bonnet, Port Lincoln Parrot, Budgerigar, Long-billed and Little
     Corellas and a Peach-faced Lovebird.  All are feral.

     Chris Gladwin
     Sydney, Australia

     BIRDLINE NSW (02) 9290 1778 - sponsored by Birds Australia, NSW Field
     Ornithologists Club and Cumberland Bird Observers Club

     Please reply direct as a I am unable to see "Birding-Aus"