birding-aus

Incommon Bronzewing behaviour?

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Incommon Bronzewing behaviour?
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 11:16:32 +1100
On new year's day my partner and I picknicked at Badger Weir Park, just out
of Healesville, Victoria.  We were only there for a couple of hours but I
saw something that I'd not seen a pigeon do before.  I'm presuming it's some

type of preening/parasite control behaviour but would like a second opinion.

So.  Thursday was hot and sunny, low 30s at least and sparse clouds.  There
was a good 1/2 dozen Common Bronzewings where we sat and we were able to
observe them closely, less that 4m.

A bird would settle into the ground, much like a bird settling on a nest.
It always settled so it was broadside to the sun and then would extend the
wing facing the sun, over it's back at full stretch and expose the underside

of the wing and body to the sun for a good 5 minutes or so.  The wing was
stretched so far over it's back that it was at about 45deg on the opposite
side of it's body.

This behaviour was nearly always followed by preening under and around the
wing.  Nearly all the birds did this and those that did repeated it over the

2 hour period I observed them.

The birds did not seem to pick a certain patch of ground (I was looking for
a dust bath bowl), but this behaviour was never performed in the shade,
always the sun.  And the sun was damned hot that day.

As I said, I'm presuming this is a preening/parasite thing - but what is the

purpose of exposing to the sun?

BTW, the park had Crimson Rosellas, King Parrots, Gang Gangs, S.Crested
Cockatoos, Pied Currawong, Splendid Fairy Wren, and a number of LGJs that
wouldn't come close enough to be identified.  It is also a well maintained
park with facilities and a number of walking tracks.  I was told that the
tracks can be a little challenging and that good shoes were preferable.
Will be going back to get at this part of the bush seriously as this is good

Lyrebird country.

--
Eric Hocking "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
Remove "nospam." from address to email.