birding-aus

Re: rare birds in cages in pet shop in Sydney

To: ANTHONY OVERS <>
Subject: Re: rare birds in cages in pet shop in Sydney
From: Mike Owen <>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 21:39:49 -0800
ANTHONY OVERS wrote:

> On a brief visit to a pet shop in suburban Belconnen, Canberra, I saw in a
> cage amongst Gouldians etc, one Diamond Firetail, one Painted Firetail and a
> Black-throated Finch. Are these also common aviary species?? Where would this
> store have purchased these birds?

All common, easy to breed aviary birds, with around 9000 registered in
NSW.  There are quite a few finch breeders in the ACT and I believe
there is a society for finch keeping aviculturalists in the ACT.  The
Black-throat finch status in Queensland (which has some of the toughest
laws for aviculture in Australia) has recently been downgraded so that
no licence is needed to keep them, provided the keeper does not want to
trade them.

cheers,

Mike
Qld.