birding-aus

Re: Pied Currawong voices

To: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Subject: Re: Pied Currawong voices
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 11:55:21 +1000 (EST)
Lawrie:

  I have also noticed distinct regional dialects of Currawongs.
Assuming that this specie is highly social and probably learns much of its
vocal repertoire, it isn't surprising to find that birds in
different population use dramatically different sounding calls, etc.
However, it would be very interesting to determine if there
is an underlying pattern to sounds (similarity in structural components of
calls) common to all populations.  I would predict that the calls which
are most strikingly different are those that are sexually selected (i.e.
females used to select a mate etc.). There is currently, intense interest
in how an individual's social experience influences vocal dialects in
birds.  The currawong would be a good species to study.  I hope you find
my comments of interest.

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis
e-mail