birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoos at Daintree

Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoos at Daintree
From: (chris dahlberg)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 14:10:32 +1000 (EST)
Hello everyone who is not on holidays,
   for years birdwatchers visiting the Daintree valley have been puzzled by
the numbers of Channel-billed Cuckoos near the Daintree Village. They even
overwinter sometimes. This may be a clue? On the dawn trip on 24th Dec with
some experienced birdwatchers on board including Scott Chandry, Bryan
Cockel, Jane Orbuch and Mrs Chandry we were going through our usual garden
birds (Black Bitterns etc) when we were treated to a handful of
Channel-bills being driven away by a female Peregrine Falcon. I can recall
seeing this once before some years ago and wonder if I may have over looked
it in the past. I have no evidence of Peregrines nesting here although they
are seen here with young, in any case the nesting should be well over in
late Dec. Mike Carter would remember the female Peregrine when he was here
last year wih the VENT Tour in Oct. If I am not on the right track it is
difficult to imagine that the falcon was after food at such a low level at
stall speed when about 20,000 Pied Imperial-Pigeons come over each day from
Low Iles.
   And where is Daintree? Lat South 16 deg  Long East 145 deg 30 mins, and
where did I find that little gem? In Pizzey's Field Guide under Gazetteer.
Looking forward to the new years day count we will do it at E.A.S.T
all the best for '98
Chris Dahlberg