birding-aus

Re: Bush Stone-curlews

Subject: Re: Bush Stone-curlews
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:45:11 PST
Reminds me of when I was working at Cairns North Queeensland with Qld
Rail in the 70s and early 80s. A pair of BushTk would nest between the
actual rail line in the shunting yard. During the breeding season with
the birds busy looking for a suitable site they would always seem to
choose a site where shunting activity was carried out and wagons placed
every couple of days. This did not impact on the success of their
nesting attempt with two chicks reared each year.
On evidence of nesting shunters would place a marker to identify where
the eggs were situated. Each time we were required to shunt the siding
what a display the adults put on, wings extended and tail erect and
fanned out plus the bird would make a hissing sound as shunters
approached to couple up the wagons. I am not sure if I recorded details
for the Nest Record Scheme but will check when I get home as I recall
taking some photos. On one occasion the adult bird carried one young
under the wing and dropped the chick in some long grass 25 cm high only
to have a tractor slasher run over the same area minutes later, much to
our disapproval and failed attempts to stop the Driver.
The Cairns Rail Yard is a busy place but since I have left it has been
relocated and I am not sure if the birds continue to nest in this area
which would be almost in the centre of Cairns.

Jon Wren Bowen Queensland (Climate Capital of Aust)
>From  Tue Dec 16 04:11:00
1997