birding-aus

Bruny Island

Subject: Bruny Island
From: denise moore <>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 15:42:07 +1000
The following may interest birdos who are considering a visit to Bruny
Island.

Celia and I have just spent 3 glorious days there! Our base was "Inala"
and from here we explored the Island. Scenically, it is grand! Birdwise,
it is top quality. A few steps from the front door of the cottage and we
were amongst a stand of White Gums, home of 40 spotted Pardalote. We
viewed numerous birds on several occassions. A walk over the property
was most rewarding. Olive and Golden Whistlers, Tasmanian Thornbill,
Black-headed, Strong-billed and Yellow-throated Honeyeaters were but a
few of the quality birds to be seen.

A walk in two patches of rainforest resulted in seeing a pair of Pink
Robins nesting and, after several trys, Tasmanian Scrub-tit.

Swift Parrots were sighted as they busily fed on Tasmanian Blue-gum.
Yellow Wattle bird often joined them!

A White Goshawk patrols the property and delighted us with his flight as
we had our breakfast.

The weather was perfect and the expertise and organisational skills of
Tonia made this a memorable visit.

Celia Browne & Denise Moore