birding-aus

Re: birds' response to predators (was raptors)

To: WM James Davis <>
Subject: Re: birds' response to predators (was raptors)
From: Anne & Roger Green <>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 09:48:56 -0800
WM James Davis wrote:
 I would first ask if the
> White-plumed HE and Grey Butcherbird share the same habitat, e.g. forested
> areas as opposed to open parkland that seems to be prefered by the Pied
> Butcherbird.  If my impressions are correct than I would speculate that
> the W-p HE and Grey BB are more likley to come into contact during
> the period when the W-p is nesting.  In contact means within close
> range of the W-p HE nest, etc.
My experience relates to birds around our home (10-20 meters away), so
the habitat is the same for both birds, and probably involves the same
tribe of Honey-eaters (if they have tribes!)
 And lastly, I would also want to know if
> the diet of the two butcherbirds is dramatically different.
I can't answer that one, I'm afraid
Thanks for replying, Anne

http://www.riverland.net.au/~atriplex
Atriplex Services:- Environmental Consultants, Educators, Bush Guides,
Growers of Australian Native Plants