birding-aus

2 BIRDING HIGHLIGHT'S FOR THE WEEKEND

To: "" <>
Subject: 2 BIRDING HIGHLIGHT'S FOR THE WEEKEND
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 97 08:14:00 PST
To all birder's

My 2 best highlight's for the past weekend's birdwatching in Western
Sydney were:

1) Painted Snipes - 3 birds (2 males and a female) at Bushell's Lagoon.
Great view's of the 3 through the scope as they were feeding. Saw a male
bobbing his tail like a Common Sandpiper. (Buff-banded Rail, Greenshank
and Latham's Snipe were also seen)

2) Crested Hawk's (Pacific Baza's) - a pair of bird's feeding a young
'white downy' chick in nest at Maraylya (near Windsor). A good breeding
record for Sydney. A great view through the scope, as I watched one
parent feed it's young a Green Tree Frog. Both parent's took turn's in
feeding the young. (A Wedge-tailed Eagle also flew over the area).

The original founder's of these 2 great bird's must be Congratulated.

Edwin Vella