birding-aus

Koels/ Currawongs / Bazas

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Koels/ Currawongs / Bazas
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 10:18:14 -0800
I heard an interesting exchange between a Koel and a Currawong on Sunday last.
Each time
the Koel was making its usual call a currawong responded with its closest
equivalent
call which might be described as "pourquoi" ie. French for why. It kept this up
for
several minutes. The birds were some distance apart and it appeared to be a
purely
oral/aural exchange. The koel appeared to ignore the currawong.

One other point of interest was the sighting of a Pacific Baza 50 yards away
from my
home in Beecroft(Sydney). Initially it was gliding unitl it landed in a tree
and without
binoculars I could see its crest. They have been seen in Beecroft before but it
is only
my second.

John Reidy