birding-aus

Re: Workplace birds

To: (Birding Aus)
Subject: Re: Workplace birds
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:53:49 +1100 (EST)
This month has been a good one for raptors at my work (Russell, ACT.)

The highlight would have to be Nankeen Kestrels; I spotted one on the
ledge on the building outside my window on Monday, apparently catching
Bogong Moths in the air vents to the roof space.  I've seen this a few
times in the past, once where the Kestrel jogged a lap of the building
much to the consternation of the local sparrows and starlings.  :)
When I saw the bird there again on Tuesday, I started paying more
attention to it, and sure enough, it was joined by its mate on Wednesday.
Judging by the tail markings, the female stayed there all day yesterday,
and I saw it tearing up food (presumably moths from the size and colour.)
The male came and went, and apart from once when the female was calling
to the male prior to his departure, I didn't see any other interaction
between them.  The female spent her day preening herself (in the 39 degree
heat) and settling down into a hole or channel in the ledge (I can't
see exactly which.)  I thought I saw a bare patch on her chest which
I took to be a brood patch.  She is sitting in the same location today,
so I think that she now has eggs.  The male was flying about, but I haven't
seen him return to the female yet.

Also of interest was a Peregrine Falcon hunting yesterday and putting on
a great show despite the strong winds; I saw it a couple of weeks ago
carrying a victim, but have yet to see a kill.  Earlier sightings this
month are a White-bellied Sea-Eagle and a light-phase Little Eagle.

   Paul Taylor