birding-aus

Re: the ultimate in Lyrebird mimicry

To: <>, "Syd Curtis" <>
Subject: Re: the ultimate in Lyrebird mimicry
From: "Michael Miller" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:43:47 +1100
Captive Lyrebirds at Healesville are very good at imitating mechanical
sounds. Electric drills, the squeak of a door hinge and the warning "bip" of
a truck in reverse are the three that come to mind .

A number of years ago there was quite a bit of construction work being done
in the aviary, presumably the bird learnt the drill sound from this work. Do
they need continued exposure to the sounds they imitate?  The Healesville
birds don't perform the drill sound much anymore.Tasmanian birds may hear
interstate bird calls from other male lyrebirds in the area?

One handraised orphan ,who's name was "Chook", learnt to incorporate his own
name in his display song.

Michael Miller