birding-aus

RE: Lyrebirds & mimicry

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: RE: Lyrebirds & mimicry
From: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:39:43 +1100
I found Syd's message (as forwarded by Frank O'Connor) on Lyrebirds and
why mimicked birds aren't affected to a great degree very interesting.
Evidence to support his comments is available in the Superb Lyrebirds of
Tasmania. These were purposely introduced (to Mt. Field NP) from the
mainland. The Lyrebirds there now are descendants of the introduced ones
and include in their repertoires the call of the Eastern Whipbird. The
Whipbird is not present in Tasmania so the call has been learnt from
other Lyrebirds. It would be interesting to see if the call evolves over
time, with no Whipbirds to keep it 'true to the model'.

What isn't explained in Syd's message is that some degree of song
learning from the local environment must happen otherwise we wouldn't
have Lyrebirds imitating chainsaws, trail bikes and (as I have heard in
Munghorn Gap Nature Reserve) rifle shots.
Paul Osborn
Research Scientist
BHP Research - Newcastle Labs
PO Box 188 Wallsend, NSW, 2287