birding-aus

Re: tapes/mimicry

Subject: Re: tapes/mimicry
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 15:49:27 +0800
I was just thinking this morning that the volume of birding-aus was
dropping off after the Blue Rock Thrush and crake/rail storms.  So along
comes TAPES!!!!

This has always led to a storm in the past.  It is even more contentious in
the US (this thread began in the US?), and I ended up unsubscribing from
BIRDCHAT, etc.

I think most people have heard the arguments and are unlikely to change
their opinions, so maybe this can be left to pass through to the keeper???

Having said that, I have replied because I wondered what the response was
to birds that use mimicry such as lyrebirds, orioles, etc.  Does the
imitated species come running???  We don't have a lot of mimics in WA.

I also wondered why cuckoos and other parasitic species had not evolved to
imitate their host species?  They could learn when they are reared, and
then it would make it a lot easier to find the nests of the hosts???

Frank