birding-aus

re: Rails and Crakes

Subject: re: Rails and Crakes
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:27:35 PST
Tony
That is an issue I feel should receive a lot of attention the use of
taped calls. I do not condone this method at all and would indeed feel
ashamed to claim a bird by such method. It would be interesting to see
what the other users feel about this method of birdwatching.
Comments welcome
Jon Wren

>From  Wed Nov 12 21:34:51
1997
>Date: 13 Nov 97 16:46:29 +1100
>From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
>Subject: re: Rails and Crakes
>
>I would suggest that Lewin Rail is in fact a fairly common species
throughou=
>much of its range in Eastern Australia.  I would even go as far as to
sugges=
>they are more common than Swamphens.  Certainly in Sydney and Brisbane
they
>can be found in many localities if you try hard enough.
>
>One of the tricks to locate them is to find significant stands of
introduced=

>'Lantana' and play a tape and not always at low altitude and not always
in
>swampy areas.  I recall finding them at 5 locations between Mt Glorious
and =
>Mt
>Nebo in SE Queensland in 1988 and likewise the best place to see them
around=

>Sydney besides the usual swamps is around the Lantana slopes behind
Wollongo=
>ng
>or in Royal NP.  I heard one calling a few months ago at the Powerful
Owl si=
>te
>near Epping for those that know the locality.  Strickland State Forest
>Ourimbah is another good spot.  ie. anywhere that has a rainforest with
>Lantana. Even the lantana around Taronga zoo is a good.
>
>Having said that though, all would have to agree that filling in the
swamps
>and drains has a disastrous affect on the local populations of Crake
Sp.