birding-aus

Magic birding moment

To: "Birdchat" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Magic birding moment
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 09:52:05 +1100
On a beginners' outing I was leading to the Upper Colo (2 hours north-west
of Sydney), we all saw a magic birding moment.  In a young Turpentine tree
shaped a bit like a Christmas tree, three male Variegated Fairywrens and
one male Superb Fairywren were foraging for insects. They continually moved
around and around the outer branches looking for all the world like Xmas
tree decorations. The show was exquisite, lasting several minutes.

The possible repercussions are costly.  Will these beginners become
addicted as we are?  Will they spend their entire leisure time and money on
birdwatching as a result?

Trevor

Trevor Quested & Annie Young
Sydney,  Australia