birding-aus

Doves' and others Tails

To: <>
Subject: Doves' and others Tails
From: "Phil Joy" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 20:44:48 +0800
Hi to all,
            Is there someone who could help me with a query I have about the
fifteen or twenty Bar-shouldered Doves that inhabit my backyard and nearby
environs.  Over the last few months I have noticed three birds on separate
occasions that have apparently moulted their tail feathers completely.  Two
birds had no tail feathers at all and the third only had a minute part of
one of its tail feathers showing.
Is this normal in Bar- shouldered Doves, or has the normal moult
malfunctioned in some way or is some avian disease the possible cause?
Originally I thought that B/S Doves were the only birds affected but the
other day I saw a Brown Honeyeater also without a tail.  So if it  is a
disease, is it local or does it occur elsewhere?
Phil Joy
P O Box 21
Broome
W A            6725