birding-aus

Twitch Result Cairns

To: <>
Subject: Twitch Result Cairns
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:43:36 +1000
Hi there!

Just to let you know how Birds Australia N Q Group went in the Twitch.
After much effort in trying to motivate our members, we ended up with just
two teams, but had a lot of fun. There was a third team of super-twitchers,
but they opted to finish elsewhere in an effort to beat the record for FNQ,
so they were disqualified. They did get 243 species mind you. Back to us
mortal birders.

Team : MOULDY SHOWER BIRDS (a reflection of the state of bathrooms on the
wet and humid Tablelands and a play on words with one of our more sort
after endemics.)

Leader: Graham Harrington

Result: 150

Best Bird : Bassian Thrush (very secretive and rarely seen up here in FNQ)

Team: RED-NECKED CRANKS (after the crakes that live at the bottom of our
garden and sound real cranky, calling every night apart from the night of
the Twitch. Grrrrr!)

Leader: Keith Fisher

Result: 192 (one more than our best previous result)

Best Birds: Party of Varied Sitellas - first sighting in five Twitches.

We finished at Platypus Park in Atherton and had  a BBQ lunch with a number
of other members
and enjoyed ourselves very much. Now we've got to try and extract the
promised money!!

Now next year we'll .......

Keith & Lindsay Fisher
PO Box 2209, Cairns QLD 4870