birding-aus

Re: AMAZONIAN PASSERINE

Subject: Re: AMAZONIAN PASSERINE
From: (Kim Sterelny)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:37:53 +1300
>On Sun, 21 Oct 1956 20:48:26 +1000 lorne <>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi y'all... Lorne here...
>>
>> An obscure question... Can anyone tell me the name of a small grey bird
>> (like female Golden Whistler - a bit) with a striking, strong, beautiful
>> three syllable call from the Amazon basin area? The call is a clear,
>> crisp, and very loud whistle... "tooooo weee wooo". This bird is often
>> in documentaries on the Brazil area. It calls in films, such as THE
>> EMERLAD FOREST! In nature docos. they don't identify the species
>> unfortunately.
>>
>> Thankyou... An pet dodo to the person who can answer this!!!
>>
>> LORNE.
>Ah, Lorne,
>
>You've made my day.  I've always wanted a pet dodo.  The bird you refer
>to is a Screaming Peha (or PeeHa).  I have not seen it written, but one
>David Attenborough doco I saw (Flooded Forest?) referred to it, and had
>a camera angle almost looking down its throat as it called.  Memorable
>stuff!
>
>Security Post would be best for the Dodo!
>
>Cheers
>
>Ian

The reason why they are on every nature documentary is that they are almost
the only bird you can see with zero birding skills. Last year in Equador,
after a wonderful days birding with a local guide, I went out by myself in
the evening (= a good birding time, right?) and was saved only by the
Screaming Piha from the utter humiliation of a nill return. I found plenty
of mossies, though

Kim Sterelny

Kim Sterelny
Philosophy