birding-aus

Re: Hattah NP &c

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Re: Hattah NP &c
From: Peter Menkhorst <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 02:35:00 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 20 Oct 1997 08:53:48 +1000 (EST) John Leonard
<> wrote:
>I'm thinking of going soon to Hattah and those parts to try, once again, for
>the elusive Striated Grasswren.

>Also, does anyone know any sites for Slender-billed Thornbill in those parts?

John,
there is no suitable heathland habitat for Slender-billed Thornbills at Hattah
or in
the Sunset Country to the west. You need low semi-arid arid heath (knee high)
growing on the deep aeoloian sands of the Big Desert or Little Desert - try off
the
Murrayville Track (runs through the middle of the Big Desert between
Murrayville
and Yanac, normally OK for 2WD) or almost anywhere in the Little Desert.

Cheers

Peter Menkhorst
Senior Wildlife Policy Officer
Flora and Fauna Statewide Programs
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
PO Box 500
East Melbourne Vic 3002
phone 03 9412 4288      fax 03 9412 4586
email