birding-aus

Snipe identification

Subject: Snipe identification
From: Nick Lethaby <>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:10:42 -0500 (CDT)
Hi:

I am interested in getting feedback on the separation of Japanese (Latham's)
and Swinhoe's Snipe. Separation of other E. Asian snipe species is well
documented, but these two have not been covered by any id papers I am aware of.

Specific things I am interested in, expecially for Japanese Snipe, which I
haven't seen, are:

1/ Behavior on flushing. Does it flush easily or only at close range? Does
it usually call? If so, how often? Does it usually fly a long way or drop
down quickly? What is the flight like (heavy, zig-zagging, ...)?

2/ Description of call. I know this is extremely difficult. I would describe
Swinhoe's as a short 'rrek'. This is very different from the drawn-out
'sshharp' of Common Snipe. What does Japanese sound like?

3/An Australian birder told me he recalled that on Japanese, the white of
the belly often extended on to the front of the flank, separating the flank
barring from the breast. This isn't the case on Swinhoe's. Any comments on this?

Any other id info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick Lethaby

Nick Lethaby                            Pronghorn Consulting
                  1112 N. Abbott Avenue
Tel: (408) 941 0223                     Milpitas, CA 95035
                                        U.S.A.