birding-aus

Birding in Cairns

Subject: Birding in Cairns
From: (benson)
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 09:17:48 -0700
I've just returned from Cairns with a list of 195 species including 16
lifers. Please contact me if you want more detailed information and a
list (in  word).

Highlights as follows:

Esplande:
All the usual but I saw a Sanderling. A German birder reported two
Broad-billed Sandpiper on the 1/10/97 and English birders reported an
Asian Dowitcher on the 9/10

Kingfisher Park
Red Necked Crake, Pied Monarch, Yellow Breasted Boatbill, Grey Whistler,
Spotted Catbird, Bowers Shrike Thrush, Barn Owl. Heard Lesser Sooty and
Barking Owls.

Ron Stannard has taken over Kingfisher and offers first class service
including a spot light tour around the park at night. Ron's email:

They have had trouble with their service provider but this seems to be
sorted out.

Mt Lewis
Fernwren, Mountain Thornbill, Grey Headed Robin, Crested Hawk, Topknot
Pigeon, Wompoo Pigeon, Tooth-billed Catbird. Golden Bowerbird were seen
here but we didn't search very hard as the track was ill defined and we
were concerned about getting lost.

Mt Molloy-Mt Carbine Area
Bustard, Squatter Pigeon, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, White-browed
Robin(Big Mitchell Creek), Great Bowerbird, Red winged Parrot, Koel,
Channel-billed Cuckoo

Be wary of Thomas and Thomas. They were here in 1993 and things have
changed. eg Pickford Rd nows grows cane instead of rice and is probably
not the site for the Black Throated Finch. The Buff-breasted
Button-quail site (4th Grid on Bakers Rd) has a  No Trespassing sign on
the 3rd grid. Ron Stannard insists its a public road but I was a wary
about wandering around.

Daintree River Cruise( Chris Dahlberg)
Good value, saw about 70 species. Terrible views of a pair of Great
billed Herons on a nest, Wompoo Pigeon, Double-eye Fig Parrots (on the
wing), Shining Flycatcher, Large-billed Warbler, Buff Banded Rail
Glimpse of Superb Fruit Dove.

Dipped on Little Kingfisher. They saw Black Bittern the previous day and
should start seeing them regularly now.

Interestingly Chris saw the first Sacred Kingfisher 6/10 but it has been
reported much much further south.

Chris posts a daily list in front of the General Store in Daintree but
be warned. This is a list of what he identifies and good views may not
be obtained of the birds you are dying to see.

Daintree-Mossman
Beach Stone-Curlew north of Pinnacle Village. Pacific Swallow in Pacific
St Newell Beach. This is a very shaky tick. There were five swallows on
the powerlines with short tails but the other characteristics were
impossible to see. They certainly looked diiferent to the Welcome
Swallow I saw in Mossman.

Cairns Croc Farm
A must see place but wear plenty of insect repellant. We are still
itching from being attacked by sand flies. Tell them you are interested
in the birds and they provide a diagram of where to see them. Andrew is
the guy to ask for.

White-browed Crakes and Buff-banded Rails are common. Dipped on the
Lewins Rail but got the Painted Snipe. Black Bittern and Little
Kingfisher are also reported here.

Michaelmas Cay/ Hasting Reef.
We had a great day on the Sea Star (Ph 070 33 0333 ($50). There were
other birders on the boat which made identification of a couple of
rarities easier. They will take you around Michaelmas Cay in the dingy
(if the tide is suitable), so tell the guys you want to see the birds.

Common Noddy, Sooty Tern, Lesser Crested Tern, Great Frigatebird, Lesser
Frigatebird, Bridled Tern and Black Naped Tern(Hastings), Red-tailed
Tropicbird.

I saw most things I realistically expected except Superb Fruit Dove,
Lesser Sooty Owl and Black Throated Finch.

Regards

Allan

--
Allan Benson