birding-aus

RE: Vic Tick Exchange

To: "'Robert BERRY'" <>
Subject: RE: Vic Tick Exchange
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:26:58 +1000
> at Stockyard Point ( Jam Jerup ) 8/10/97 Terek Sandpiper - a regular
> site for
> them - 1 was present yesterday at high tide.

Pardon my ignorance ... where is Stockyard Point?

> In exchange for these goodies I'd really appreciate Vic sites for
> Brolga,

Lake Martin on the Cressy-Beeac Road in western Victoria is a good spot
(also lots of Cape Barren Geese there).  I saw 3 Brolgas beside the
Dingee-Rochester Road, north of Bendigo a few weeks ago.  I have seen
them at Middle Swamp, Clunes in past years (2+).

> Chestnut-rumped Heathwren

Stay tuned on this one.  There's supposed to be a red-hot spot at Whroo
for this bird, but I don't know it.  The good locations near Anglesea
require a rather intricate mud map, & David Andrew is still waiting on
one of those from me!

> Regent and Painted Honeyeaters.

I guess the Indigo Goldfield area of Chiltern is about as near to
guaranteed Regent HE territory as you can get in Vic any more.  They're
also in Killawarra forest a bit further south adjacent to Warby Ranges.

Painted HE is pretty easy at Clunes State Forest, well actually mostly
on the private property next door, first bit of bush on your left as you
head towards Maryborough out of Clunes.

> Willing also to
> trade a guaranteed Spotted Quail-thrush!

No such beast!!!!  I've had success in recent years at Staughton Vale in
the Brisbane Ranges (take McLeans Highway from beside the old S.V.
school up into the national park; just after the hill flattens out
there's a small dam on the right; wander around there; they should be
singing at the moment, which unlike the contact call is quite audible;
good spot at dusk for White-throated Nightjar too); Ironbark Basin,
Point Addis (in the short heath on the cliff top).

Regards

Lawrie Conole
2/45 Virginia Street
Newtown 3220 Victoria