birding-aus

more Chooks

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: more Chooks
From: "Michael Miller" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:00:55 +1000
Animal welfare issues arise from free range chook farms as well as battery
farms. During the wetter months of the year the paddocks the animals are
'liberated' into become a large, wet, muddy pools with not a blade of grass
to be seen. The comfort and well being of chickens housed in such
conditions are surely questionable.

Try a higher protein chook pellet, you may get a few more eggs :-)

And a few thoughts on the cat debate. Cat lovers usually use the excuse
that confining cats is cruel and not natural (moggy needs to be able to
roam around outside to be happy). What a load of codswollop. Cats are
fairly territorial (even the man made varieties such as the domestic pussy)
and its makes no difference to them whether the territory they patrol is
inside or outside. They are a man made breed (domestics of course) existing
nowhere in the world in a natural population. We have no problems confining
another man made species, domestic dogs, I don't see what the difference
is.

It seems we need a drastic culture change.

Keep smiling
Mick MIller