birding-aus

Re: Sacred Kingfisher

Subject: Re: Sacred Kingfisher
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:40:50 +1000 (EST)
Sacred Kingfishers have been filtering down through the eastern part of
Australia for a few weeks, hot on the heels of the cuckoos and
woodswallows.

On 20 September Tania Ireton & I saw a SKfisher in the town reserve at
Deniliquin, NSW (I'm not entirely sure that Tania saw it but I got a great
view for a few seconds). The next day a whole busload of us heard one
south of the town.

We heard and saw Pallid / Fantailed / Horsf.Bz / Shining Bz around
Deniliquin the same w/end.  Woodswallows were about as well.

Tania is presently preparing a mouthwatering trip report - that's if she
has recovered from her rotten cold and from listening to me all the way
home ... or maybe she's still recovering from my appalling  navigation
that made us miss the Castlemaine and find the interest route to
Geelong???

Anyway, it was a brilliant trip, thanks to Phil & Patricia Maher and a
dozen friendly birding-aus readers.

Russell Woodford