birding-aus

SHOT ALBATROSS CORRECTIONS

Subject: SHOT ALBATROSS CORRECTIONS
From: SOSSA-Smith&Jenkin-Smith <>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:25:27 -0800
Dear Birder's

We are sorry for the mistakes in the previous message..Milburn was here and we
were
attempting to drown our sorrows, so we didn't check the message thoroughly
before we
sent it out.  As you can see we have added some more information.  Advise
WELCOME !!.

We need HELP us do something about THIS SITUATION
because it is time!!!!!

ALBATROSS SHOT
AT BERMAGUI THURSDAY 25/09/97

We have been informed of a "Wandering" Albatross ashore at Bares Beach, NSW,
Australia,
(200 km south of Wollongong) by the local members of the Wildlife Information
Rescue &
Emergency Service (W.I.R.E.S).  Initially, Pam Bates managed to stabilise the
bird by
administering first aid.  The bird fought for survival for two days before
dying, due to
blood loss and shock.

The carcass of the dead albatross arrived at SOSSA H.Q. yesterday, Saturday 27th
September, and a post mortem examination conducted by Matthew O?Donnell,
Veterinary
Surgeon (Cannon & Ball), indicated that the bird had been shot by a high
powered rifle
whilst flying!.  Wandering Albatrosses mate for life and this (male) was in
prime
condition and a successful breeder last season, so his mate may not breed
again.  He was
20 to 40 years old.  Wandering Albatrosses need to reach the age of 30 years to
replace
themselves in the population.

>From an initial examination it is believed that this bird may be from the
>Macquarie
Island population, which is critically endangered and threatened with
extinction (as few
as 5 breeding pairs in annually).

The above incident follows a similar incident east of Sydney on September 13th
1997,
which is currently under investigation.

In past years there have been several other incidences involving seabirds being
shot.
Ross Hunter  ?Broadbill Charters?, reported that he had picked up Six
albatrosses which
had been shot at Browns Mountain east of Botany Bay in June 1996.

Members of the New South Wales Albatross Study Group (NSWASG) have collected
birds at
sea off Wollongong in the past, which had been shot.

As Committee Members of the Joint Standing Committee on Treaties for Amendments
to the
Bonn Convention 9th Report, you would be appalled to hear of the above accounts.

We would be thankful for any assistance in determining which Government
departments are
responsible for law enforcement in regard to wilful intent to kill an Endangered
Species, currently listed on the Bonn Convention.

--

SOSSA  "Wildlife Research"
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association Inc