birding-aus

just being an editor

Subject: just being an editor
From: <>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:22:56 +0000
Hi all,

With all this debate about ferals and escaped birds (my God!
Armageddon can't be far behind!) I just thought I'd enlighten you
about a point that irritates the hell out of me.

There is no such word as escapee.

The correct term is escaper. 'Escapee' is not even a logical
construction (think about 'employee' ...). Yes, I know, the horse has
bolted and 'escapee' has even made it into the OED, but surely
popular ignorance is no basis for accepting changes to the language?

Alone in the wilderness battling escapees,
David Andrew