birding-aus

NZ Postdoctoral Fellowship

Subject: NZ Postdoctoral Fellowship
From: RAOU Research Projects <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:35:49 +1000 (EST)
Hi All,

I was posted this postdoc. description this morning, so I thought I would
post it on Birdng-Aus just in case there is anyone out there interested in
applying for it.

Cheers, Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research and Conservation Manager

Birds Australia (Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
Australian Bird Research Centre
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.

Tel:    +61 3 9882 2622
Fax:    +61 3 9882 2677
Email:  S.Ambrose <>  (at work)
            <>   (at home)

Massey University Postdoctoral Fellowship:

Hormonal stimulation of gonadal function in birds

Dr John F. Cockrem
Department of Physiology and Anatomy
Massey University
Palmerston North
New Zealand

Project description
A long-term goal of our Avian Endocrinology Research Group is to develop a
hormonal method for stimulating ovulation and spermatogenesis in endangered
birds such as the kakapo.  We are approaching this goal using the Japanese
quail as our model species.  A postdoctoral fellow with experience in avian
endocrinology is sought to work with our group to develop the use of exogenous
hormones to stimulate ovarian growth, ovulation and spermatogenesis in birds.

The postdoctoral fellow will join an expanding research group and work closely
with two PhD students and two masterate students who will also work with
quail.  Other projects within the group include studies of corticosterone in
free-living blackbirds, faecal steroids in kakapo, corticosterone in Adelie
penguins, and corticosterone and testosterone in relation to immunosuppression
and disease in free-living native New Zealand birds.

We have chosen the Japanese quail as our primary study species because quail
are seasonally breeding birds and are photoperiodic, there is an extensive
knowledge of their reproductive physiology, there has been more work on the
reproductive physiology of ageing in quail than in any other bird, quail are
relatively simple to keep, and we have access to a supply of quail.  Quail can
be held on short daylengths that keep the reproductive system inactive, so
short daylengths provide an excellent situation in which to test hormone
treatments to stimulate the reproductive system of quail.  The small size of
quail means that we can run multiple experiments with good sample sizes so as
to rigorously test a wide range of hormone doses and treatment times.
Experiments will initially concentrate on the stimulation of ovarian growth
and ovulation in female quail and will then extend to include the stimulation
of spermatogenesis in male quail.  As the success rate increases then the
methods will be extended to ageing quail as a model of the ageing kakapo
population.

The project is a collaborative effort with colleagues in Japan (Prof. S.
Ishii, Department of Biology, Waseda University, Tokyo), South Africa (Prof.
R. Millar, MRC Regulatory Peptides Research Unit, University of Cape Town
Medical School, Cape Town), and the United Kingdom (Prof. P.J. Sharp, Division
of Development and Reproduction, Roslin Research Institute, Edinburgh).
Recent work by our colleagues in Japan has used implants and injections of
readily available mammalian hormones (hCG and PMSG), whilst our colleagues in
South Africa have used cholesterol implants containing GnRH or synthetic
analogues of GnRH.  We will explore the use both of hCG/PMSG and of GnRH or
GnRH analogues, with the hormones delivered in a way that is practical for use
in the field.  We will use combinations of different hormone preparations,
dose rates, and treatment periods, and examine the effects of the hormone
treatment on the gonads and on plasma levels of gonadal and pituitary
hormones.

Facilities available in our department include a laboratory for hormone
radioimmunoassay, histology laboratory and housing for Japanese quail.  There
is a wide range of other facilities available in the Veterinary Science
building and on campus including laboratories for studies of molecular
biology.

Conditions of appointment
The postdoctoral fellowship is for two years.  The postdoctoral fellow must be
able to take up the appointment within six months of being offered the award.
The salary is $NZ42 500 per annum.

Applications should quote reference number DEPT 52/97L and be sent to: Ms L.
Hensman, Human Resources Section, Massey University, Palmerston North, New
Zealand.
Ph 64 6 350 5984      Fax 64 6 350 5615      Email

Each applicant must arrange for three referees to submit reports directly to
Ms Hensman by the closing date.  Referees should provide telephone, fax and
email contacts.

The closing date for applications is 30 October 1997.

General information about the university can be found at
http://www.massey.ac.nz

Enquiries about this position should be directed by email to Dr J.F. Cockrem,
Department of Physiology & Anatomy, Massey University, Palmerston North, New
Zealand.
Email        Ph 64 6 350 4483      Fax 64 6 350 5674