birding-aus

re: alleged humour and other things - The RFI question

To: Margaret Cameron <>
Subject: re: alleged humour and other things - The RFI question
From: (Stephen Mugford)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:09:45 +1000
Margaret

You asked what I said about RFIs

In approximately the same words I used in the other message....

RFI='request for information'. (Or so I assume, that is certianly what it
means in practice). So, if you are making a short visit to (eg) Goulburn
and might have a day spare to do some birding, knowing that you will want
to use that time effectviely , you put a message "RFI:Goulburn" on the site
and ask locals/people who've been there, for tips about good places nearby.

If I know nothing about the area, I won't answer (probably won't read it
even). But if I would like to go there myself, I might keep an eye out for
answers to your query and file them away so I can call the file up if I
visit...

It follows that when someone goes to the trouble of composing  detailed
answers these are best posted on the site, either by sending the there, or
(as with this message) sending the answer to the person involved, cc to the
site.

Stephen