birding-aus

RFI: Cairns-area

Subject: RFI: Cairns-area
From: (Jim Hengeveld)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:38:57 -0500
Good day all,

I am in the midst of preparations for a Xmas/New Year's holiday (birding)
trip to Oz with my wife, Susan, and her parents.  Part of our trip will be
spent in northeast Queensland and I've made several arrangements there
already.  We would like to stay at Kingfisher Park in Julatten and I would
like to make advance arrangements.  I was told that Geoff and Sandra
Nicholson are no longer there but that they are having another birder, Ron
Stannard, manage the place for them.  I was given an email address for Ron
 and sent him a message about a month ago but have
not received a reply.  Is Ron Stannard, in fact, managing Kingfisher Park
for Geoff and Sandra N., and do I have the correct email address?  Is there
any other way to make reservations at Kingfisher Park via email?

While in Cairns, we would like to take a trip to Michaelmas Cay.  We will
be in Cairns on a weekend and would like to do the boat trip to Mich. Cay
on the weekend unless advised against it.  We could potentially do the trip
on a weekday on our way back through.  Are the weekend trips much worse in
terms of crowds?  Do reservations have to be made well in advance?

(If it is OK, I will also be asking "Birding-aus'ers" some identification
tips:  e.g., your pair of accipiters, Brown Goshawk (A. fasciatus) and
Collared Sparrowhawk (A. cirrhocephalus) look about as tough as our
Cooper's Hawk (A. cooperii) and Sharp-shinned Hawk (A. striatus)).

Thanks all.....Jim

James D. Hengeveld                      Biology Dept.
Bloomington, Indiana  47405             Indiana University
812:  855-5353