birding-aus

FROM SOUTH AFRICA

To: "Aussie Birdnet" <>
Subject: FROM SOUTH AFRICA
From: "Tony Archer" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:42:59 +0200
Hi all the Aussies

Glen thought you might find the attached interesting. I put it on the SA
Birdnet.  He suggested I put it on the Aussienet which I do with pleasure.

Something else first: Our migrant Greater Striped Swallows have just
arrived back from up North. Always a 'happening' in the Archer household
when our feathered friends get back safely.  We have been sharing the front
door of our house with them for about 8 years!

Here is the mail:

'Hi all

The Aussies (for those not subscribed to their net) have recently had
interesting letters about the birds they have seen while cycling.  Some
apparently cycle to work or others for exercise.

I had a good cycling/birding trip yesterday so am going to list the birds I
saw/heard.  The trip I do is about 45 km from Klerksdorp past our local
Reserve, Faan Meintjies.

Firstly in town a Zebra Finch - escapee of course.
House Sparrow
Laughing Dove
Rock Pigeon
Grey Heron
Olive Thrush
Cape Wagtail
Hadeda
Redfaced Mousebird
Black Collared Barbet
Crested Barbert
Cape Robin
Kalahari Robin
Spurwinged Geese
A special - Crimsonbreasted Boubou - only seen twice in 7 years
Bokmakierie
Blackthroated Canary
Harlequin Quail
Crowned Plover
Blacksmith Plover
Scalyfeathered Finch
Redheaded Finch
Rufuosnaped Lark - first for season for me
Anteating Chat
Melodius Lark
Redbilled Quelea
South African Cliff Swallows
Helmeted Guineafowl
Fiscal Shrike
Fiscal Flycatcher
Threestreaked Tchagra
Chinspot Batis
Masked Weaver
Wattled Starling
Whitebrowed Sparrowweaver
Rock Bunting
Blackchested Prinia
Titbabbler

Regards

TONY ARCHER'

Tony Archer
United Broker
P.O. Box 6022
FLAMWOOD
KLERKSDORP
SOUTH AFRICA

TEL & FAX: 27 18 4686403
CELL: 0824459192
'All animals, except man, know that the principal business of life is to
enjoy it.' - Samuel Butler