birding-aus

Re: Identification: Willie Wagtail?

Subject: Re: Identification: Willie Wagtail?
From: David Sales <>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:27:58 +0100
This is a follow-up to my request for help on identification;
I had clearly abbreviated my notes too much.  I said:

> Upperparts and breast were as for Willie Wagtail (unlike Flycatchers)

by which I meant that the throat and upper breast were black, and the
black extended a little way down the side of the breast (concave) as
in WW and not straight across or up (convex) as in e.g. Leaden Flycatcher.

I also said:

> with little or no eyestripe

by which I meant that when the bird was first seen, no eyestripe was noted
by either of us.  The bird moved away but was later relocated and gave
better views when a faint eyestripe was seen.

The 3 responses that I have had all suggested Restless Flycatcher (or the
RF race Paperbark Flycatcher).  Presumably the coloured underparts
prompted these suggestions, but the Simpson & Day and the new Pizzey both
suggest that this is confined to the breast, whereas on our bird the
colour extended to the under tail coverts.

Although not very familiar with Restless Flycatcher, we had had excellent
views of one earlier the same day, so were sure that it was not that
species.  I think that the amplified comments above and the behaviour
noted earlier rule it out.

Any other offers?

David Sales