birding-aus

trip report ku-ring-gai Chase NP (long)

Subject: trip report ku-ring-gai Chase NP (long)
From: "Peregrine" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 03:49:35 -0400 (EDT)
My apologies to people on two lists who will get two copies...

Trip Report: Ku-ring-gai Chase NP, Sydney Australia
Sat, Aug 30

        This was a strange weekend for birding;  but good despite all the
difficulties encountered along the way.  I started out early on Saturday
morning heading towards Ku-ring-gai with lots of kiwi fruit in my
backpack and anticipation of the wildflowers in bloom.  There were many,
many flowers at Royal National Park the weekend before, and I wanted to
see what was different on the opposite side of Sydney.  The track I was
planning to take was fairly long: from the park entrance near Ku-ring-gai
High school, down the Sphinx Head Track, north to Bobbin Head, and
eventually up to Mt. Ku-Ring-Gai.  I've been in the area before and it's
nice and diverse with wet sclerophyll forest which turns into mangroves
down near the water, or into dry open forest on sandstone the further you
go up onto the hills.
        The birds were very active when I got there and I wasnUt
disappointed by the flowers either. Red Wattlebirds were chasing a
hapless Grey Butcherbird and Crimson Rosellas calling from all around.
When the Rosellas do their squeaky "talking" to each other they wag their
tails back and forth which seems to be a display to other Rosellas, since
the movement makes them more visible (to me anyway).  Excellent views of
an Olive-backed Oriole and a Fan-tailed Cuckoo, both of which I have
always had trouble getting good looks at despite the fact that they both
have obvious calls.  But the absolute highlight of the day came early on
when 3 Whipbirds chased each other around the Sphinx memorial.  Actually,
there appeared to be two males and they were chasing a single female, all
the while giving off that incredibly loud whipcrack call.  Lots of tail
fanning and crest showing and flying around up in the trees instead of on
the ground where they usually frustrate me to no end.
        Continuing down the Sphinx track I was beginning to worry already
that I wouldn't make it to the train station before dark because there
were so many birds to stop and look at.  Nothing particularly uncommon
though, just neat things like White-throated Treecreeper, Yellow-faced
Honeyeater, Grey Fantail, Eastern Spinebill, Brown Thornbill, Spotted
Pardalote, White-browed Scrubwren, Yellow Robin, and lots of Rosellas,
including a couple of easterns among the crimson.  Spring is definitely
in the air! As you get down lower near the creek, the White-cheeked
Honeyeaters become very obvious as they noisily chase each other.  Each
one seems to have their own little patch of flowers which they defend
from Currawongs, other honeyeaters, me... Mixed in with the raucous
flocks were New Holland Honeyeaters which look very similar.  I wonder
why these two similar looking species, which apparently compete with each
other, exist in the same space here.  WhatUs different about them?  While
I was pondering these large ecological questions, a Wedge-tailed Eagle
soared over my head just above the tree line.  I didn't even have time to
raise my binoculars, but there wasnUt any need to....such an impressive
bird!
        When I finally reached the Cowan Water mangroves at the base of
the hill, I was beginning to notice the smell of smoke in the air over
the lemon scent of the flowers.  across the river and over the hillside
there was a large cloud of smoke and a few minutes later a helicopter
went over towards it...aha a bushfire.  Well, since I don't have a lot of
common sense and an overdeveloped sense of curiosity, I just continued on
my walk as the light took on the yellow colour of late afternoon even
though it was still mid-morning.  There wasn't really any wind, and the
smoke was mostly blowing away from me.  Also, the people who had been
passing me all morning hadn't come back the same way, so I figured it was
all right to keep going because  there were birds! A White-faced Heron in
the creek fishing, and an Azure Kingfisher flashed by as a streak of
bright blue and a little high pitched call.  Small group of Variegated
Fairy-wrens went by...I want to know if the chittering sound that they
make is one bird, or if it is started by one and carried on by another
and so on in succession that it is extended into the long continuous
warbling. Or if it's a chorus of the whole group. The male wren was in
his best outfit, bright shiny blue with contrasting rust and black made
even more interesting by the strange quality of the smoky light. The
females were inconspicuous.
        Finally I got to a point where I could hear the fire, which was
taking up most of the hillside on the other side of the river.   There
were also national park people over there who were setting the fire  and
it became clear that it was a controlled burn...but still you'd have
thought they would put a sign at the park entrance to let us walkers
know.  In any case, a few minutes later I came upon the boat yard at
Bobbin Head, and several  Little Black Cormorants, Chestnut Teal, Wood
Ducks, Pacific Black Ducks, the ubiquitous Silver Gulls and some Masked
Lapwings.  All around the picnic area are Noisy Miners, and there were
many Welcome Swallows flying in and out under the bridge where they are
probably nesting.  I can watch swallows flying for hours, theyUre very
hypnotic. I took a detour to do the mangrove boardwalk, where you can
watch the hundreds of mangrove crabs scurry away from you into their
holes.  I found my goal bird for the day, the Mangrove Heron, fishing at
the edge of the water quite far away, but still identifiable.  Also added
Pied Cormerant and Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters from the area surrounding
the boardwalk.
        I know from past experience that the walk from Bobbin Head to Mt.
Ku-ring-gai is a killer.  It's long, uphill, and noisy on the weekends
because of the motorboats. The most evil invention of humankind is the
obnoxious jetski.  Also in the afternoon its almost bird-free.  I was
fortified for the uphill walk by a Whistling Kite soaring and eventually
perched over Apple Tree Bay, and at the top of the climb by a
White-bellied Sea Eagle which I spotted out of the corner of my
viewfinder while I was trying to take a picture of a tame Kookaburra (I'm
a tourist! I admit that I take pictures of Kookaburras, still! Despite
the fact that they wake me up very early in the morning.)  As long as you
have a kiwi to eat on the way up, the view is worth it.
         In the dry forest on the upper part of the hill I found a pair
of White-cheeked Honeyeaters feeding two very demanding little
honeyeaters.  The juveniles were full feathered; a duller olive colour
compared to their parents, although their heads were dark they lacked the
defined black throat and grey crown of the adult.  The white ear patch
was smaller and thinner on the young ones and they had a distinctive
yellow/white gape which was visible even when they weren't begging for
food.  The two were huddled together on a twig just above the ground
where they waited for their parents to arrive with a beak full of nice
juicy insects.  It was a great opportunity to sit down and watch the
adults forage around me and then feed the young ones.  One or both
parents would arrive every 2 minutes or so with food.  Interestingly, one
of the chicks spent most of its time continuously peeping while the other
remained silent. Yet the silent one, being higher on the twig and easier
to reach, was getting all the food.  Eventually the noisy one resorted to
flying at and pouncing on the parent until both  were on the ground where
the chick could grab the food without its sibling getting in the way.
The other chick joined in the next time, and these sorts of encounters
escalated over the next few feeding rounds until every time a parent
arrived there was an all out scuffle between everyone.  I had to leave
the scene when I realised the sun was setting quickly and I still had a
ways to go before reaching civilisation again.  But I had to stop for a
pair of King Parrots, which sat quietly just above my head.  The sunset
was beautiful, the bright red and green of the parrots glowed against the
white bark of the scribbly gum tree...this is why I go birding, and it's
why I go by myself so no one is hurrying me on so I can just sit and
watch.
        End of the day total: 14km walked, 60 species seen, several of
which I had only seen once before, plus the interesting experience of
watching a fire (even though it was a controlled one).  There were lots
of  flowers in bloom but as I sit here in the computer lab I can't
remember the names of any of them except the Boronias and the Pink
Grevillea.   Isn't it strange that one can easily remember the names of
hundred of birds, yet the flowers which are so obvious escape memory?
The weekend before the Waratahs were just starting to bloom at Royal
National Park, but I didn't see any at Ku-ring-Gai (and they havenUt
started blooming in the Blue Mountains yet).

 Species List:
Silver Gull
Pied Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant