birding-aus

Don't denigrate Hampstead Heath

Subject: Don't denigrate Hampstead Heath
From: Michael <>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 14:09:31 +1000
IAIN CAMPBELL wrote:
> If there are any RESPONSIBLE birders that any of you know.... Surely two
> Peoples bay is more apealling than Hamstead Heath!!!

I tried but haven't found a responsible birder who wants to do the trip.
But if there were an offer of a chance to go to Hampstead Heath...

It has ancient woodland, fields, wetlands (as well as some heath) and I
haven't yet found anywhere around Melbourne where you can see a similar
variety of bush species in an hour's stroll let alone a choice of at
least nearby 15 pubs with decent beer.

And all this about 30 minutes from the centre of London. Why ? Because
people fought to save the area from developers, to expand it, and to
prevent the land managers from tidying it up instead of conserving the
flora and fauna.

Michael Norris
formerly Vice-chairman of the Heath and Hampstead Society, 100 years old
this year (the Society - not me!)