birding-aus

Pectoral Sandpiper and Hospital Swamps

Subject: Pectoral Sandpiper and Hospital Swamps
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:29:28 +1000
Thanks Mark I will tell the Geelong Field Naturalists bird group which
meets tonight

For the benefit of others, Mark has omitted to add that the levee bank is
actually on private property not in the game reserve, the fence on the lake
side is the boundary (this may sound confusing but is obvious when you are
there)

>From Mark's description the Pecs were almost certainly on the private
property as the Wood Sandpipers present in the last couple of years have
been (on the private property, not in that very spot)

The owner is a keen duck shooter but (and?) is very friendly to
birdwatchers. He lives in a large brick house on the left just before you
get to the turn in to the swamp. If noone is home when you go to ask
permission to walk on the levee, there is a small blackboard near the door
to the house from the garage where you can write a message.

Margaret Cameron

At 09:34 PM 22/09/97 +1000, Mark Bennett wrote:
>On Sunday 21/9/97 I found a Pectoral Sandpiper among a large flock of
>Sharp-tailed Sandpipers at Hospital Swamps, between Geelong and Barwon
>Heads, Vic. In fact, I suspect there were up to 3 present but I could
>not keep track of physically seperate individuals long enough to confirm
>this. Also of possible interest were 4+ Red-kneed Dotterels.
>
>To find the swamps (part of Lake Conneware) take the Barwon Heads rd out
>of Geelong and turn left at Lake Rd - watch for the sign to Hospital
>Swamps. Park at the end of the road and walk along a levee bank to the
>left. The Pec's were on both sides.
>
>      .---.        .----------- Mark Bennett
>     /     \  __  /    ------
>    / /     \(  )/    -----
>   //////   ' \/ `   ---
>  //// / // :    : ---          Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
>           '//||\\`
>             ''``

Margaret Cameron                                        03 5229 9792
4 Connor Street
East Geelong
Victoria 3219
Australia