birding-aus

Life-challenging exotic doves. Part two. Don't read!

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Life-challenging exotic doves. Part two. Don't read!
From: "Glen Ingram" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 00:58:19 +1000

> From: WM James Davis <>
> To: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
> Cc: ;
> Subject: Re: Consequences of ferals
> Date: Friday, 22 August 1997 14:57
>
> A suggestion to whom it may concern about Collard Doves:
>
> Perhaps Glen and Lorne would like to contribute some
> hard facts to their arguements?

No I would not!
Besides who will notice. In fact (Type 2a: soft and with currants), I am
probably the only person on Birding-aus.

{FADE}

[to himself] Have you noticed how Birding-aus nearly ceases to function
over the weekends.
[from the ether] That is because most of the subscribers' computers are in
their offices.
[to himself] But this discussion is so important. Why do academics just
drop the barbs and run off to the staff club on Fridays?
[from the ether] That is unfair and you know it.
[to himself] Okay! Tell me this then: what is a hard fact? Are facts like
biscuits then? Do you have soft ones? What about wafer-like ones? Are there
ones with chocolate covering?
[from the ether] That is also unfair. You know that was  just using a tautology
to emphasize the properties of facts, which are all hard - metaphorically
speaking.
[to himself] Lorne has gone home too apparently.
[from the ether] Trevor hasn't.
[to himself] Trevor? That one who attacked pelicans so viciously on
BirdChat. Said they were voracious and had Jurassic-Park-type bills!
[from the ether] I thought it was yo.....
[to himself] The same one who saw a Ring-neck Dove, took it literally and wrung it.
[to himself] Said I was a trouble-maker but keeps on changing people's RAOU
numbers when they aren't looking.....

{FADE BACK}

That's it! The Precautionary Principle Jim. Lack of data is no excuse for allowing disturbance to the status quo. The principle was purposely invented by environmental managers to save flora and fauna from damage, especially in those situations where scientists were disarmed by the absence of data. This is "de-fact-o" I suppose.

See what Claire says.

Best wishes
Glen Ingram
Brisbane, Australia