birding-aus

Red Rumped Parrot in the Northern Territory

Subject: Red Rumped Parrot in the Northern Territory
From: j heath <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 12:14:04 GMT
Whilst watching a flock of around 35 Hooded Parrots between the viewpoint
and Bogga's Park at Pine Creek, NT, around two weeks ago we found a male Red
Rumped Parrot associating with the flock. Obviously when checking the
distribution of this species it is clearly a long way out of it's normal range !

I have been told that the new "Pizzey" Fieldguide mentions the species is
"dispersive" ?

Does anyone have any views as to whether this individual could have been a
genuine vagrant or is it more likely to have escaped from captivity. I do
not know or have any way of finding out the status of this species in
captivity or likewise any previous records of the species appearing as a
vagrant / out of range.

Any comments would be appreciated.

David Cooper