birding-aus

Raptors.etc on Pumicestone Passage

Subject: Raptors.etc on Pumicestone Passage
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:36:15 +1000
PUMICESTONE PASSAGE RAPTOR SURVEY August 1997

Pumicestone Passage is the shallow waterway between Bribie Island and
the mainland, about 50 km north of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
I'm conducting regular surveys of the birds of prey found there, supported
by a grant from Coastcare.

We leave from Sylvan Beach at the southern end of Bribie and move north
through the shallow "Skids" and "W's" on the high tide to get to Caloundra
where we turn around and move south, retracing our path but taking in a
western detour around Donnybrook and Torbul.

On Sunday, 3 August we has a successful trip after several postponements due
to bad weather.
The observers were: Jill Denning and Frank Mikula.

Numbers recorded:

Species                 Going north     Going south

Whistling Kite                  40              49
Brahminy Kite                   8               16
Osprey                          3                3
White-bellied Sea Eagle         8                3
Unid. Raptors                   7               17
Total Raptors                   66              88

Black-winged stilt              91              187
Pied Oystercatcher              2               2
Whimbrel                        10              62
E. Curlew                       4               59
Bar-tailed Godwit                               87
Unid waders                     120             300
Royal spoonbill                  42              25
Caspian tern                     4
Gull-billed tern                12               6
Aus White Ibis                                  37

Another memorable sighting was of a Jabiru flying past Mission Point.

This provided the highest number of raptors we've counted this year.
Future surveys should indicate whether this was due to exceptionally
good observers or a winter build-up of birds.

Peter Woodall
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Pathobiology
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072          WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)